CNIB recently unveiled the brand-new Barrie Community Hub and Nanji Family Foundation CNIB SmartLife Centre, thanks to a generous donations made by the Nanji Family Foundation and the Ontario Trillium Foundation. The new Hub, which is now open to members of the public, is an inclusive community space designed to empower people impacted by blindness to live the lives they choose.
The new Community Hub and SmartLife Centre, located at 90 Collier Street, Unit 5, Barrie, Ontario, hosts a wide array of programming including accessible technology training, advocacy resources, peer support sessions as well as opportunities within culture, recreation and sport. The Hub is also home to the second Nanji Family Foundation CNIB SmartLife Centre – an interactive retail experience that gives people with disabilities of all ages hands-on access to the latest breakthroughs in assistive technologies, as well as tried-and-true favourites.
The new Hub also includes:
- A tech bar where community members have an opportunity to learn more about accessible low-tech and high-tech devices.
- An accessible kitchen and living room space where community members can try out their culinary skills or test out the latest smart home technology.
- An agile community space where staff and volunteers can create and share ideas in an inclusive atmosphere.
Hours of Operation:
- Monday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Wednesday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Thursday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Drop-ins are welcome on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., however appointments are encouraged whenever possible.
For general CNIB and program enquiries, call 1-800-563-2642. For SmartLife specific enquiries and assistance with making an online purchase, call 1-866-659-1843.
As a reminder, all CNIB offices and community locations are following Ministry of Health recommendations that include wearing face coverings, maintaining physical distancing, scheduled cleaning and disinfecting, and screening protocols.
If you’re planning a visit soon, please ensure to compete a self declaration form beforehand.