Before you apply for a CNIB Guide Dog, we encourage you to ask yourself the following questions:
- Am I 16 or older?
- Do I have sight loss that limits my orientation and mobility?
- Do I have a lifestyle that would benefit from the use of a guide dog?
- Am I able to maintain the necessary skills for working with a guide dog?
- Am I willing to trust my guide dog, even if he/she chooses a slightly different path?
- Do I have a safe and welcoming home environment for a guide dog?
- Am I ready for the responsibility of caring for a guide dog?
- Am I physically capable of caring for a guide dog?
- Am I prepared for the attention that a guide dog will bring while working in public?
- Am I a registered client of CNIB or Vision Loss Rehabilitation Canada?
If you answered yes to each of these questions, we invite you to complete our application process.
Our online application form takes about 20 minutes to complete. You will be asked to provide us with information about you, your daily routines, lifestyle and living conditions. We take your privacy very seriously so what you share with us will be saved in our secure client system and only used by CNIB Guide Dogs to determine your eligibility.
If you are unable to complete the form in one session, save what you have entered and return later to complete it and submit your application.
Once your application is submitted, you will receive an email providing details on next steps in the process, a link to complete a Self Declaration Health form and information on where to complete a police record check.
CNIB Guide Dogs will review your information and contact you to discuss your application, mobility skills and arrange for a home assessment.
Once these steps have been completed, our team will confirm your eligibility or provide alternative recommendations if you are not eligible at this time. CNIB Guide Dogs is committed to supporting individuals who are seeking a guide dog for their independent travel needs and making the best possible match for our dogs. If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-563-2642 or email email@example.com.