The Specialist, Braille Room Operations will report to the Central Lead, Volunteer Strategies and Events and is responsible for supporting the development of a strategic approach and framework for CNIB's braille room, the oversight of CNIB's efforts in braille literacy, specifically, CNIB's Volunteer braille production and braille promotion in general.
This is the job for you if…
- You’re passionate about changing what it is to be blind in Canada today – and you believe it can be done.
- You’re driven not just to meet expectations, but to exceed them – then set even bigger goals.
- You’re an outgoing person and a strong communicator. You can forge great relationships with all kinds of people.
- You’re creative, resourceful, collaborative and solution-oriented. Where others see problems, you see opportunities.
- You’re flexible and resilient. Change doesn’t intimidate you – it excites you.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Responsible for developing, monitoring and supporting the CNIB's strategic plan for Braille room operation.
- Support braille room staff and volunteers, ensuring appropriate human resources planning, effective coaching and goals achievement.
- Responsible for record keeping for Braille courses and Certification.
- Execute engagement and recruitment plan of braille room volunteers
- Assist with the international agreements regarding Braille transcriptions
- Assist braille volunteers with management of Braille examination process
- Assist with execution of Braille course evaluation
- Track and report volunteer hours as directed
- Develop communication and marketing materials that clearly articulate the combined efforts of CNIB and our partners.
- Responsible for monitoring and updating website and social media plan
- Influences and advises on braille volunteer engagement strategies
- Works effectively with the Central Lead, Volunteer Engagement and Events to support the organization’s overarching goals.
- Support with the planning and execution of the CNIB National Braille Conference.
- Assists with preparing annual budgets and tracks expenditures.
What do you bring to the table?
- Excellent relationship building skills; ability to build productive business and stakeholders' relations.
- Experience with project management practices and tools to create, manage, and track project performance.
- Well organized and excellent coordination skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written communications and oral presentation skills.
- Professional attitude, self-starter, and flexible.
- Ability to accomplish projects with little supervision.
- Excellent time management skills
- Candidates must be blind or partially sighted in order to participate in the CNIB Internship/Returnship Program
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree combined or related work experience.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Proficient in UEB.
- 3 years' experience in project management, volunteer engagement or administration.
- Braille certification would be an asset.
- One-year contract
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- Flexible hours based on braille room hours of operation (Tuesday to Thursday, 10am - 3pm)
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact Diana.Rosales@cnib.ca
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.