Minimum six-month commitment, usually two hours per week on days and times convenient for the client and the volunteer, including evenings and weekends.
CNIB has individuals waiting for a volunteer in all areas of our region. We will work with you to find a match that is convenient for you.
Vision Mates provide community-based support through one-on-one sighted assistance and companionship for a person who is blind or partially sighted.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Regularly visit a client in his/her home or other suitable environments at a mutually convenient time
- Activities are determined by client need and mutually agreed upon
- Some approved activities are: reading, organizing, walking, assisting with errands or outings, and friendly visiting
- Make a difference for people who are blind or partially sighted; provide sighted assistance and companionship to a person in your community who is blind or partially sighted.
- Regular visits with a client at home, or other suitable environments, at a mutually convenient time
- Trustworthy, patient, empathetic and friendly
- Reliable, organized and able to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- Very strong English skills or willingness to be matched with a client who speaks your native language
- Orientation, including about CNIB, about the people we help, about vision loss and about volunteering with us
- Training specific to the position, including working as a Vision Mate and what to do when problems arise
If you are interested in this position, you can apply to join our team today by using our online application form.