This position provides functional expertise for public relations and takes direction from the Executive Director.
A major accountability includes working within a matrix environment and building and nurturing matrix relationships. Matrix structure involves both horizontal and vertical management, communication, reporting, budget coordination and relationship team building. It also includes leveraging knowledge, skills, and opportunities to enhance public profile and ensure internal consistencies for the organization. Achievement of strategic objectives for the Division will be measured against goals set for the organization.
- Develops, implements, and executes a public relations plan for CNIB BC-Yukon Division encompassing all functional areas within the organization; public education, research, advocacy, volunteering, fundraising and community services.
- Creates media opportunities and responds to incoming media requests, assessing the organizational opportunity, and coordinates media interviews as needed, including the preparation of briefing documents for spokespeople.
- Monitors and tracks earned media stories and reports as required.
- Assists in the implementation of nationwide milestone and other regional campaigns as required.
- Develops messaging, materials and outreach plans (internal and external) in support of divisional and local fund development activities.
- Provides expertise in-the-area of brand management for the division, overseeing the consistent implementation of CNIB’s brand across all departments and program areas, bringing public relations expertise/input to the strategy and approach.
- As part of the broader digital and social media strategy, drives regional content, postings and monitors/responds to issues, questions and comments from followers. This includes creation of content and managing various social media accounts including Facebook and Twitter.
- Prepares presentations, speaking notes, briefing notes and messages of greeting for organization spokespeople and representatives, and coaches as required.
- Follows the established policies and procedures of the communications department, advising other departments and program areas of related tools and protocols and ensuring they are followed.
- Liaises, builds and sustains positive mutually supportive relationships with partners, key stakeholders (including government officials), media, volunteer spokespeople and all functional areas of CNIB.
- Provides guidance and support to team members as required.
- Participates in committees and management team meetings as required.
Problem Solving/Time Frame of Impact:
- Ability to provide solutions to problems using excellent analytical, problem definition and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meeting deadlines and producing high-quality work.
- This position works under the general guidance of the Provincial Director with guidelines and standards set by National, but has latitude to operate independently on routine tasks in an uncertain environment.
- Consults with supervisor on issues that are deemed to require senior management approval.
- Enhances team efforts on a professional level and shares specialized knowledge, sources, experience, concepts, and skills.
- Takes initiative to work effectively in a collaborative and cross-cultural environment.
- Takes initiative to keep abreast of issues related to CNIB and provides advice on new media and communications information.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Experience in developing and implementing public relations plans
- In-depth knowledge of public relations principles and best practices
- Well established media contacts and relationships within the industry
- Experience successfully pitching stories to media outlets
- Demonstrates the ability to get things done in a rapidly
- changing environment with multiple stakeholders and influencers
- Ability to plan, manage and evaluate multiple projects, typically involving input from internal and external contacts.
- Excellent project management, time management and organizational skills.
- Independent and resourceful self-starter
- Strong writing skills and the ability to evaluate and proof copy
- Superior interpersonal skills, including ability to relate effectively with people at all levels, both internal and external to CNIB.
- Ability to research, distil and convey complex information in a clear manner to various audiences.
- Demonstrated computer skills and competence with standard computer tools associated with business and project management
Experience and Education:
- University graduate in communications, public relations, journalism, or an equivalent combination of education, training and expertise.
- Minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in public relations, communications, and stakeholder relations
- Microsoft Office 365
- Windows 10
- Apple OS X
- CMS: Drupal
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Willingness to travel as required.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact Andrea.Gronfeldt@cnib.ca and quote the job title in the subject line
Please send cover letter and resume; and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.