This position supports functional, technical expertise for the comprehensive multi-faceted braille production unit of the Accessible Publishing.
• Directly responsible for production of braille books for CELA and other organization. Implementation and maintenance of braille standards and ensuring customer requirements are met
• Thorough knowledge of Braille codes and Formats
• Establish continuous process improvement, optimise current tools and technologies: implement new technology, fine tune workflow
• Create and help with Print-braille and other assignments entering the production stream to Braille Production staff and volunteers, track, and resolve scheduling conflicts. Provide estimates for completion dates for work in the production queue
• Beta test braille translation software programs and processes to improve production in ensure quality is maintained. Participate in future development of braille publishing techniques
• Perform QA checks on work moving through the production unit
• Prepare and validate XML files for braille codes and structure
• Import XML files in to the Duxbury Braille Translation Software Program (DBT)
• Provide feedback to Duxbury to resolve program issues and keep staff and volunteers informed about the changes made
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
• Braille certification a requirement
• Demonstrated decision making skills; self directed
• Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task in an organized manner
• Good relationship builder and networking skills with a variety of stakeholders; approachable
• Proven time management and organization skills
• Professional attitude, results oriented, strategic and flexible
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; other languages an asset
• Strong computer/desktop applications and file management
• Document formatting, and understanding of structure
• Excellent problem solving and decision making ability
• Knowledge of Braille Translation software
• Analytical, literate, detail oriented, well organized, and able to work with little supervision
• Knowledge of music and math an asset
• Flexible, willing to adapt in a changing environment and work as part of a team in a fast-paced multi-task setting
Experience and Education:
• Minimum of two years in a braille or other production environment
• Braille code knowledge an asset
• Background in publishing technique, mark-up languages (XML), book content and structure
• Knowledge of Braille Translation software (Duxbury)
• Certification: braille transcriber; UEB (Unified English Braille) an asset
• Post-secondary education in humanities, computer or related field
• Hours are set to ensure department coverage and production targets are met.
• Flexible hours
• Able to work off-site and Bayview office as the need arises
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact Anita.Munshi@cnib.ca
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.