Visits are usually two hours per week on days and times that are convenient for the client and the volunteer (including evenings and weekends).
Vision Mate visits take place in the client's home or community location (i.e. local library, coffee shop, etc.).
CNIB Ontario North is looking for Vision Mates to share their sight with someone who is blind or partially sighted. Vision Mates provide regular, one-to-one assistance and companionship for a person who is blind or partially sighted. Matches are made with someone who lives close to your home, school or work. You visit once a week for a couple of hours to assist with four main tasks: reading, errands (like groceries and shopping), going for walks, and socializing.
Vision Mates make a huge, positive impact on the life of someone who is blind or partially sighted.
- Must be reliable, patient, responsible and friendly;
- Excellent communication skills;
- A thorough background check including a Clear Police Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector Check.;
- Must be 19 or older.;
- We ask for a six-month commitment to the program;
- CNIB provides orientation about CNIB, the people we help, vision loss, and volunteering at CNIB, as well as training specific to the position.
If you are interested in this position, you can apply to join our team today by using our online application form.