Visits are usually two hours per week on days and times that are convenient for the client and the volunteer (including evenings and weekends).
Community Locations across the province. CNIB has individuals waiting for a volunteer in all areas of our region. We will work with you to find a match that is convenient for you.
Vision Mates provide regular, one-to-one assistance and companionship for a person who is blind or partially sighted. Matches are made with someone who lives close to your home, school or work. You visit once a week for a couple of hours to assist with four main tasks: reading, errands (like groceries and shopping), going for walks, and socializing.
- Make a difference for people who are blind or partially sighted; provide sighted assistance and companionship to a person in your community who is blind or partially sighted.
- Develop or use experience and skills in client service.
- Be part of a dedicated and passionate staff and volunteer team working to further CNIB’s mission.
- Reference or confirmation of hours upon request, after 3 months’ successful participation as a volunteer.
- Trustworthy, patient, empathetic and friendly
- Must be reliable, patient, responsible, friendly, oganized and able to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- A thorough background check including a Clear Police Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector Check
- Must be 19 or older
- We ask for a six-month commitment to the program;
- CNIB provides orientation about CNIB, the people we help, vision loss, and volunteering at CNIB, as well as training specific to the position.
- Training specific to the position, including: working as a Vision Mate and what to do when problems arise.
If you are interested in this position, you can apply to join our team today by using our online application form.