Two hour visits once a week at a mutually convenient time for both of you.
CNIB has individuals waiting for a volunteer in all areas of our region. We will work with you to find a match that is convenient for you.
Provide community-based support; one-on-one sighted assistance and companionship for a person who is blind or partially sighted.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Regularly visit a client in his/her home or other suitable environment at a mutually convenient time
- Activities are determined by client need and mutually agreed upon
- Approved activities are: reading, organizing, walking, assisting with errands or outings, and friendly visiting
- When a client needs more support, service, counseling or information than you are able to give, refer them to staff
- Make a difference for people who are blind or partially sighted; provide sighted assistance and companionship to a person in your community who is blind or partially sighted.
- Develop or use experience and skills in client service.
- Be part of a dedicated and passionate staff and volunteer team working to further CNIB’s mission.
- Reference or confirmation of hours upon request, after 3 months’ successful participation as a volunteer.
- Trustworthy, patient, empathetic and friendly
- Reliable, organized and able to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- Very strong English skills or willing to be matched with a client who speaks your native language
- Orientation, including: about CNIB, about the people we help, about vision loss, and about volunteering at CNIB.
- Training specific to the position, including: working as a Vision Mate and what to do when problems arise.