Team Captain can attend one or more community events; and only commit to the events that work for them. Ideal candidates will be able to commit to at least 1 event per month. Each drive will differ slightly depending on target audience and location, but we estimate you will engage 2–3 hours for preparation, recruitment and training and 4 hours minimum to collect phones at the drives.
The Team Captain reports to the CNIB Specialist, Phone It Forward and is responsible for coordinating and supporting the development of Phone It Forward phone drives in local communities, raising awareness about the CNIB Foundation and its programs, elevating the community profile, advocating for smartphone donations and educating the public on the impact technology has in the hands of individuals living with sight loss.
The Team Captain is responsible for recruiting and coordinating a team of volunteers to implement the phone drives and ensure the team has the information and support they require to be effective. This position acts as a liaison between CNIB, volunteers and stakeholders.
Tasks vary on event requirements; however, this position will always include:
- Assist with team recruitment, selection, training and recognition
- Conduct regularly scheduled follow up (calls or emails) with volunteers; report any issues or concerns immediately to supervisor.
- Be available to volunteer team to provide support and guidance in their role
- Responsible for managing all the in kind and cash donations during the event.
- Report on volunteer hours and other event measurables.
- Provide training and on-site assistance to the Event Team Members.
- Demonstrate and enhance leadership skills, while supporting the Bold Dreams, Bright Futures of those living with vision loss
- Gain experience working in a customer service and technology support role
- Support CNIB and its goals of putting technology in the hands of individuals with vision loss
- Learn how to use accessible technology
- After 3 months of volunteering, receive a reference upon request
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about the CNIB Foundation and the Phone It Forward program.
- Patient, empathetic, friendly and excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Organized, reliable and able to work with minimal supervision
- Champion in recruiting other volunteers
- Leadership skills: provides clear instructions and accurate information to other volunteers and general public.
- Professional and enthusiastic attitude, self-starter.
- Confident and reliable in the management of in kind and cash donations.
- Minimum 18 years old
Orientation and training:
- Orientation, including about CNIB, about our participants and about volunteering at CNIB.
- Training specific to the position, including phone data removal and onsite technical support.
If you would like to volunteer for this position, please complete our online application form by clicking on the below link or contact Leanna Smashnuk at 403-389-8943 or firstname.lastname@example.org