- Monday: 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- One hour weekly or bi-weekly
- Make a volunteer commitment of six months or more
Meet at CNIB Winnipeg, 1080 Portage Ave.
- Guide clients on neighbourhood group walks.
- Provide one-on-one support.
- Ensure all clients remain part of the group.
- Identify and assess environmental risks and bring these to the group leader’s attention. Ensure all participants are safe.
- Provide clear, concise directions or descriptions.
- Take direction from group leader.
- Take part in conversations.
- Be alert for changes in a client's demeanor or physical abilities and report as necessary.
Benefit of position
- Provide sighted assistance while promoting independence and exercise.
- Enhance and increase social opportunities, independence and confidence for our clients. Some programs may also increase physical fitness levels.
Qualities, Skills and Training
- Minimum 18 years old
- Physically fit and able to walk for an hour at an average pace.
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Patient, friendly and empathetic
- Reliable, punctual, organized and able to work with minimal supervision
- Friendly, outgoing and you enjoy meeting new people
- Be able to arrive independently at our starting point:
- CNIB office 1080 Portage Ave. in late spring, summer and fall
- Polo Park Shopping Centre in winter and early spring
- Orientation, including learning about CNIB, the people we help, vision loss and about volunteering with us.
- Route information provided by the group coordinator
- Sighted guide training provided