Dependent on program
CNIB hosts a variety of recreation programs for people with vision loss. Recreation assistants provide sighted assistance and support for one of these programs, including:
The Knitting Club (Weekly, switching between afternoons and evenings):
- greet members; guide as needed
- help teach knitting; identify missed stitches
- help choose yarn and find designs
The Walking Club (Tuesdays at 11 a.m.):
- provide sighted guide during one hour walks
The Audio Book Club (Monthly, evening):
- listen to the audio book
- help lead discussions over the phone
Designed for individuals who are blind or partially sighted to connect with each other in local community centres, our Monthly Socials provide participants the opportunity to learn from their peers and guest speakers on a variety of topics. They currently take place in Halifax, Sydney, New Glasgow, and Bridgewater. Volunteers involved with this event would help by greeting people at the door and being available to provide sighted assistance during the meetings.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Trustworthy, dependable, compassionate and flexible, with good communication skills
- Minimum 16 years old
If you are interested in this position, you can apply to join our team today by using our online application form.