Peer group leaders attend up to two meetings per month that happen for an hour and half each.
Communities across Ontario.
Toronto (GTA), Peel Region, York Region, Durham Region Barrie, Simcoe/Muskoka, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, St. Catharines, Kitchener, Hamilton, Burlington, Stratford, London, Windsor, Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville, Peterborough, Belleville, Sault Ste. Marie, etc.
Peer Support group volunteers help to facilitate meetings that are outlined by CNIB and the participants. The meetings are a place for the participants to get information on different topics that relate to sight loss. The volunteer is responsible for making sure the group stays on task and working with the CNIB staff person to get the meeting info and speakers.
The volunteers do not need to have any experience with vision loss but it can be helpful.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Attend and lead meetings once or twice a month depending on your location
- Determine topics of discussion with client and program lead input
- When a client needs more support, service, counseling or information than you are able to give, refer them to staff
- Develop or use experience and skills leading group discussion.
- Be part of a dedicated and passionate staff and volunteer team working to further CNIB’s mission.
- Reference or confirmation of hours upon request, after 3 months’ successful participation as a volunteer.
- Opportunity to gain or share skills in communication and leading groups
- Personal experience (self, family member or friend) with sight loss and the impact of CNIB programs and services and/or demonstrated involvement with and support of CNIB (eg. volunteer or donor)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experienced or willing to be trained in leading discussion groups
- Organized, reliable and able to work with minimal supervision
- Orientation, including: About CNIB, About the people we help, About vision loss, and About volunteering at CNIB.
- Training specific to the position.
- Minimum 18 years old.
If you are interested in this position, you can apply to join our team today by using our online application form.