Visits are usually two hours per week on days and times that are convenient for the client and the volunteer (including evenings and weekends).
Community Locations across the province! CNIB has individuals waiting for a volunteer in all areas of our region. We will work with you to find a match that is convenient for you.
If you are friendly, reliable and have an interest in health, fitness, the arts and fun, then this is the opportunity for you! As a Leisure Mate, you'll act as a sighted guide to provide support either as part of a larger group or on a one-on-one basis.
Share your passion with someone with sight loss! Activities will be based on your skillset. Fitness activities might include running, cycling, or gym-based support. Leisure activities could be museum outings, theatre adventures, social activities, crafting projects or an activity of your choosing.
- Make a difference for people who are blind or partially sighted; provide sighted assistance and companionship to a person in your community who is blind or partially sighted.
- Develop or use experience and skills in client service.
- Be part of a dedicated and passionate staff and volunteer team working to further CNIB’s mission.
- Reference or confirmation of hours upon request, after 3 months’ successful participation as a volunteer.
- Trustworthy, patient, empathetic and friendly
- Must be reliable, patient, responsible, friendly, oganized and able to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- A thorough background check including a Clear Police Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector Check
- Must be 19 or older
- We ask for a six-month commitment to the program;
- CNIB provides orientation about CNIB, the people we help, vision loss, and volunteering at CNIB, as well as training specific to the position.
- Training specific to the position, including: working as a Vision Mate and what to do when problems arise.
If you are interested in this position, you can apply to join our team today by using our online application form.