CNIB’s Lake Joseph Centre (commonly known as “Lake Joe”) is a fully accessible lakefront residential facility located in the Muskoka region of Ontario, providing a unique blend of recreation, skills training, social interaction, and personal discovery in a safe, inclusive environment. Two hours north of Toronto, Lake Joe stretches over 12.5 acres of waterfront property on the northwest corner of beautiful Lake Joseph. Staff and volunteers provide a wide range of high quality programs to people of all ages who are living with vision loss.
With exceptional guest safety and experience at the forefront, the Wellness Coordinator will collaborate with the Program Manager, Wellness Assistant and contracted catering company to provide care to all guests, with a focus on overall wellness, including special diets. The Wellness Coordinator will work with the Wellness Assistant to ensure smooth running of the Wellness Centre. They will be responsible for healthcare related matters which include, but is not limited to guest wellness (hydration, sun safety), first-aid and/or emergency medical response, maintaining of medical records and notes, as well as provide support with daily living needs.
As a requirement of the position, candidates must have their own CSA approved safety shoes/boots.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Collaborate and assist the Wellness Assistant in the planning, monitoring and evaluating of all components of the Wellness Centre services area
- Provide complete first-aid service to all guests, volunteers and staff
- Contact EMS for transportation to local area hospital, if required
- Organize and maintain a well-kept Wellness Centre
- Inform Program Manager when supplies need reordering or replenishing
- Maintain and keep record of all first-aid kits for site, vehicles and staff
- Reorder supplies for first-aid kits with approval of Program Manager
- Act as liaison between the Lake Joseph Centre and local medical clinics and services
- Assist with staff training sessions as well as attend all required training and meetings
- Be a positive role model for staff, volunteers and guests
- Champion a Culture of Volunteerism by supporting an environment where volunteers are respected and valued members of the team
- Ensure all dietary needs for guests are provided to the kitchen two weeks in advance, as well as coordinate all special diets with the kitchen for all off-sites and boat trips
- Work with the catering company on an on-going basis for changing dietary requirements
- Attend all meals to ensure appropriate dietary meals are getting to the appropriate persons
- Ensure that there are water stations for guests, volunteers and staff outdoors to ensure sun-safety practices
- Assist campers/guests with daily living and minimal personal care
- Deliver programming when schedule allows
- Share 24-hour on call requirements
- Other duties as assigned
The duties and responsibilities outlined above are indicative of the role, but aren’t exhaustive and may be subject to change as required
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C, CPR-HCP preferred
- Post-secondary education in Nursing or related field
- Current and clear Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check before start of contract
- “G” Class driver’s license
- Current and clear Drivers Abstract
- Experience/comfort working with animals is an asset
- Experience working with special populations
- Able to assist in daily living activities
- Able to understand clients and their special situation
- Ability to increase client’s comfort, safety and mobility
- Ability to assist client with nutrition, ambulation and hygiene
- Ability to chart guests’ progress
- Must be willing to reside at Lake Joseph Centre
- Must be willing to work standard camp hours and flexible hours
- Self-directed and self-motivated
- Able to work in a busy and changing environment
- Willing to share accommodations if required
- Experience working with special diets/diabetic diets
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience working with children and adults who are blind, deaf-blind as well as special need populations an asset
- Occasional travel may be required
Application and contact information
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please apply at cniblakejoe.campbrainstaff.com
Please submit your cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.