CNIB’s Lake Joseph Centre (commonly known as “Lake Joe”) is a fully accessible lakefront residential facility located in the Muskoka region of Ontario, providing a unique blend of recreation, skills training, social interaction, and personal discovery in a safe, inclusive environment. Two hours north of Toronto, Lake Joe stretches over 12.5 acres of waterfront property on the northwest corner of beautiful Lake Joseph. Staff and volunteers provide a wide range of high quality programs to people of all ages who are living with vision loss.
The Wellness Assistant will provide coordinated support to guests and catering company around general wellness of guests, with a specific focus on special diets, and proper hydration during program activities. In general, the Wellness Assistant will support the Wellness Coordinator with the assistance of daily living needs to campers/guests. The primary responsibilities of the Wellness Team are to support our guests in their daily care, hydration, first-aid, safety and daily living at Lake Joe. When the schedule allows, there can also be opportunity to assist with program facilitation.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Collaborates and assist the Wellness Coordinator and Manager on wellness methods in the planning, monitoring and evaluating of all components of the Wellness Centre
- Provide complete first-aid service to all guests, volunteers and staff as needed
- Contact EMS for transportation to local area hospital, if required
- Organize and maintain a well-kept Wellness Centre.
- Maintain and keep record of all first-aid kits for site, vehicles and staff
- Reorder supplies for first-aid kits with approval of Manager, Guest Services
- Assist with the staff training sessions related to health and wellness as well as attending all required training and meetings
- Work with the catering company and Guest Services team on an on-going basis for changing dietary requirements
- Attend all meals to ensure appropriate dietary meals are getting to the appropriate persons
- Ensure that there are water stations for guests and staff to ensure sun-safety practices
- Share 24 hour on-call requirement
- Other duties as assigned
The duties and responsibilities outlined above are indicative of the role, but aren’t exhaustive and may be subject to change as required.
- Experience working with special diets/diabetic diets
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience with blind, partially sighted and deaf-blind children and adults as well as special need populations is an asset
- Current (within 6 months of start date) and clear Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check before start of contract
- “G” Class driver’s license an asset with current and clear Drivers Abstract
- Experience working with special populations
- Able to assist in daily living activities
- Able to understand clients and their special situation
- Ability to increase client’s comfort, safety and mobility
- Ability to assist guests with nutrition, ambulation and hygiene
- Ability to chart campers’ progress
- Self-directed and self-motivated
Experience and Education
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C”
- 2nd, 3rd or 4th Nursing Student
- Current Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse designation
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Willingness to reside at Lake Joseph Centre during operational season.
- Willingness to share accommodations with another staff member.
- Ability to work flexible hours including split shifts and on call periods
- Ability to work in a dynamic and busy environment.
- Must be willing to reside at Lake Joseph Centre.
- Occasional travel may be required.
Application and contact information
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please apply at cniblakejoe.campbrainstaff.com
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.