CNIB’s Lake Joseph Centre (commonly known as “Lake Joe”) is a fully accessible lakefront residential facility located in the Muskoka region of Ontario, providing a unique blend of recreation, skills training, social interaction, and personal discovery in a safe, inclusive environment. Two hours north of Toronto, Lake Joe stretches over 12.5 acres of waterfront property on the northwest corner of beautiful Lake Joseph. Staff and volunteers provide a wide range of high quality programs to people of all ages who are living with vision loss.
The Program Facilitator – Art Specialist will hold guest experience as the highest priority while providing safe recreational opportunities for guests (seniors, adults, families, children and youth) attending the CNIB Lake Joseph Centre. This is accomplished through creative planning, energetic facilitation and excellent interpersonal skills. This person will be the main point of contact for developing and enhancing our art programs. They will take a leadership role in training staff and scheduling Lake Joe's art programs. The Art Specialist will be comfortable working with and teaching different mediums with a focus on accessibility. Experience teaching pottery as well as the ability to lead music and/or drama programs is also an asset. They will support other areas (waterfront, boat, land programs) as needed.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Energetically and inclusively facilitate recreation programs (crafts, games, camp fires, etc.) for our seniors, adult, youth and family guests
- Positively support waterfront programming in a non-lifeguard capacity
- Positively support off-site field trips
- When assigned, enthusiastically support in the tuck shop
- Using a guest-focused approach, facilitate, support and evaluate recreation programs. Arrive 15 minutes prior to assigned program
- Uphold all standards and policies of the CNIB Lake Joseph Centre, with particular care given to customer service
- In an effort to expand upon Lake Joe’s programming, provide new and creative ideas with respect to scheduling, programs, and service delivery
- Assist guests by taking an active role in all dining room duties and responsibilities, including serving meals
- Welcome guests by taking an active role in all duties pertaining to change-over day
- Assist guests in the event of an emergency or whenever necessary
- Provide support to staff, volunteers and site visitors
- Champion a Culture of Volunteerism by supporting an environment where volunteers are respected and valued members of the team
- Actively participate in staff meetings and all ongoing training
- Work as a team member taking on other areas of responsibilities as needed
- Work on individual assignments as needed
- Understand and be sensitive to the unique and safety considerations that need to be taken when working with a special population
- Provide assistance to guests to ensure their safety at all timesOther duties as assigned
The duties and responsibilities outlined above are indicative of the role, but aren’t exhaustive and may be subject to change as required.
- Strong interpersonal skills including: patience, empathy, communication
- Knowledge and experience in recreation programs and settings
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Swimming certifications such as Bronze Cross an asset
- Ability to work in a team setting and independently
- Current Police Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C”
- Experience working with people with vision loss (children, teens, adults and seniors) is an asset
- Ability to work flexible hours as well as standard camp hours
- Ability to work in a changing and busy environment
- Must reside at Lake Joseph Centre during operational season
- Must be willing to share accommodations with other staff member
Application and contact information
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please apply at cniblakejoe.campbrainstaff.com
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.