CNIB's braille courses
Courses are available for print and braille readers unless otherwise indicated by an asterix.
Visit our section about blindness to see what braille courses we offer.
CNIB clients and family are eligible for 50% reduction in the course fee.
How the courses work:
- Courses are conducted via correspondence and should be completed within 12 months (an extension may be granted for extenuating circumstances)
- Students work at their own pace
- There is recommended completion time for each course although exceptions may be considered
- Course material in print or braille is provided in hardcopy or via download
- Course material is mailed out once payment has been accepted
- Please indicate if you require the material in regular print, braille or large print
- Instructors are available for consultation via email
- Braille assignments are completed using Perky Duck (a free download braille program with six-key entry) or a manual brailler*
- Assignments are sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or hard copies are mailed to the Braille Room, CNIB, 1929 Bayview Ave., Toronto, ON M4G 3E8
- Errors must be corrected before the next lesson’s assignments will be accepted
How to enroll:
- Enroll in a course any time of year
- Registration and payment is required for enrolment
- Include CNIB client number for the discount
- Payment can be made with by credit card, debit or money order
- Course fees are non-refundable unless written notice of withdrawal is received within 30 days of enrolment. A refund will be issue, minus a $30 administration fee and an additional charge for the course material.
- Email email@example.com to submit proof of certification, where required
- Complete enrollment form, certification courses and tests
- Test are marked using the demerit marking system out of 100
- Passing grade on tests is 90
- Certification is based on test results
- Prerequisite to writing a test is that all assignments have been completed and corrected
- The Transcribers test is issued when your instructor recommends the candidate to write the test.
- Computer with Windows operating software
- Braille software with six-key entry, available for free download
- OR a manual brailler with 40 cells per line and 25 lines per page
Mail: Braille certification, 1929 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON M4G 3E8