Vision loss rehabilitation is specialized training giving people who are blind or partially sighted the practical skills they need to live safely and independently.
Rehabilitation services are personalized and may include:
- maximizing your remaining eyesight through lighting and contrast
- learning new ways to cook, shop and manage your home
- connecting you with devices and apps that make life easier
- training on how to use a white cane
- travelling in the community and using transit
- pre-employment assessment, training and educational funding
- resumé writing, job-search counselling and job retention
- assessment to find assistive technologies that meet your needs.
- training sessions in using your assistive technologies.
Vision Loss Rehabilitation Alberta and Vision Loss Rehabilitation Northwest Territories are the leading providers of this vital training in their province. Visit their website for a list of what they offer.
Request rehabilitation services
Getting started with rehabilitation is simple:
- Talk to your ophthalmologist, optometrist, or other health-care professional about the impact of sight loss in your life and how rehabilitation could help.
- Ask for a referral using our secure online form.
- You’ll hear back within two weeks to get the ball rolling.