CNIB’s Lake Joseph Centre (commonly known as “Lake Joe”) is a fully accessible lakefront residential facility located in the Muskoka region of Ontario, providing a unique blend of recreation, skills training, social interaction, and personal discovery in a safe, inclusive environment. Two hours north of Toronto, Lake Joe stretches over 12.5 acres of waterfront property on the northwest corner of beautiful Lake Joseph. Staff and volunteers provide a wide range of high quality programs to people of all ages who are living with vision loss.
The Camp Bus Driver will hold guest experience as the highest priority while providing safe transportation services for guests (seniors, adults, families, children and youth) attending the CNIB Lake Joseph Centre. The Camp Bus Driver will transport guests to and from camp from different regions in Ontario, with a strong focus in the Greater Toronto Area. Camp Bus Drivers may also transport guests and staff to special events and venues throughout the week based on availability.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Conduct a comprehensive check of their vehicle (16-18 passenger bus and/or minivan) prior to vehicle use and ensure that their vehicles are operating properly.
- Attentive to traffic and weather conditions while staying on schedule and ensuring the safety of passengers.
- Complete required paperwork and keep track of the amount of fuel used (mileage) and number of passengers transported.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe environment within the bus by enforcing rules of conduct and responding to emergencies.
- Ensure a fun, energetic guest experience throughout the entire transportation process.
- Provide support, guidance, and leadership to volunteers, guests and site visitors.
- Understand and be sensitive to the unique and safety considerations that need to be taken when working with a special population.
- Keep guest safety at the forefront of the mind by complying with all traffic and road safety laws and demonstrate safe and responsible driving habits when in control of CNIB vehicles
- Provide assistance to all guests/staff and ensure their safety at all times.
- Other duties as assigned
- The duties and responsibilities outlined above are indicative of the role, but are not exhaustive and may be subject to change as required.
- Current Class B, C, E or F driver's licence required
- Strong interpersonal skills including patience, empathy, and communication
- Current (within 6 months of start date) Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check
- Current and Valid Driver's Abstract
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C”
- Ability to work in a team setting and independently
- Demonstrated interpersonal and effective communications skills
- Must be 21 years or older on the first day of employment
- Experience working with people with vision loss or deaf-blind (children, teens, adults and seniors) as well as special needs is an asset
- Ability to work flexible hours as well as standard camp hours
- Ability to work in a changing and busy environment
Application and contact information
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact cniblakejoe.campbrainstaff.com
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.