CNIB's braille courses
Courses are available for print and braille readers unless otherwise indicated by an asterix.
Visit our section about blindness to see what braille courses we offer.
CNIB clients and family are eligible for 50% reduction in the course fee.
How the courses work:
- Courses are conducted via correspondence and should be completed within 12 months (an extension may be granted for extenuating circumstances)
- Students work at their own pace
- Course material is provided in hard-copy or via download (please indicate print, braille or large print)
- Course material is mailed out once payment has been accepted
- Instructors are available for consultation via email
- Braille assignments are completed using Perky Duck (a free download braille program with six-key entry) or a manual brailler*
- Assignments are sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or hard copies are mailed to the Braille Room, CNIB, 1929 Bayview Ave., Toronto, ON M4G 3E8
- Errors must be corrected before the next lesson’s assignments will be accepted
How to enroll:
- Enroll any time of year by first completing the registration and then the payment process
- For courses and tests with certification pre-requisites, attach a copy of the required certification document(s) using the file upload button on the registration form.
- Submit your payment only after receiving confirmation that you have met the pre-requisite or, where there are no pre-requisites, confirmation of registration.
- Include a CNIB client number on the registration form to be eligible for any applicable discount
- Payment can be made on-line with any major credit card. For payment by money order please contact us at BrailleCertification@cnib.ca
- Course fees are non-refundable unless written notice of withdrawal is received within 30 days of enrollment. A refund will be issue, minus a $30 administration fee and an additional charge for the course material.
- Test are marked using the demerit marking system out of 100
- Passing grade on tests is 90
- Certification is based on test results
- Prerequisite to writing a test is that all assignments have been completed and corrected
- The Transcribers test is issued when your instructor recommends the candidate to write the test
- Computer with Windows operating software
- Braille software with six-key entry, available for free download
- OR a manual brailler with 40 cells per line and 25 lines per page
Mail: Braille certification, 1929 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON M4G 3E8