Minimum six-month commitment, usually two hours per week on days and times convenient for the participant and the volunteer, including evenings and weekends.
CNIB has participants waiting for a volunteer in all areas of our region. We will work with you to find a match that is convenient for you.
Make a difference in the life of an individual in your community who is blind or partially sighted! Volunteer for a couple of hours a week to provide community-based support through one-to-one sighted assistance and companionship for someone who is blind or partially sighted.
If you are looking to make that one-on-one connection and help someone within your community, this might be the opportunity for you. We look for volunteers who are friendly, positive, empathetic, responsible, and comfortable working with individuals with vision loss, especially with seniors.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Regularly visit a client in their home or other suitable environments at a mutually convenient time
- Activities are determined by participant need and mutually agreed upon
- Some approved activities are: reading, organizing, walking, assisting with errands or outings, and friendly visiting
- Make a difference for people who are blind or partially sighted; provide sighted assistance and companionship to a person in your community who is blind or partially sighted.
- Develop or use experience and skills in client service.
- Be part of a dedicated and passionate staff and volunteer team working to further CNIB’s mission.
- Reference or confirmation of hours upon request, after 3 months’ successful participation as a volunteer.
- Regular visits with a participant at home, or other suitable environments, at a mutually convenient time
- Trustworthy, patient, empathetic and friendly
- Reliable, organized and able to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- Very strong English skills, or willingness to be matched with a participant who speaks your native language
- Orientation, including about CNIB, about the people we help, about vision loss and about volunteering with us
- Training specific to the position, including working as a Vision Mate and what to do when problems arise
- Minimum 18 years old
If you are interested in this position, you can apply to join our team today by using our online interest form.
For more information: