CNIB is pleased to offer you an opportunity to take four distance education courses in entrepreneurship and small business through The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education at Ryerson University. These courses count towards a certificate in Entrepreneurship and Small Business from Ryerson. Take one or any combination of the courses below for only $99 each. If you successfully complete the course(s), we will refund your tuition.
This is a pilot project and we will be taking up to 15 participants (must be a CNIB client) from across Canada. We will consider additional participants for future course offerings.
This introductory course is designed primarily for non-business students who are interested in starting a business of their own. Topics included assessing entrepreneurial potential, opportunity identification, market assessment, organizing, promoting, and financing the business, intellectual property, buying an existing business or considering a franchise. Students will be expected to work on developing a business plan.
This foundation course is designed to stimulate the student's interest in entrepreneurship, thereby cultivating the entrepreneurial spirit. By means of case studies, articles, videos and presentations, students will have the opportunity to learn about many prominent entrepreneurs who have demonstrated commitment, passion, risk-taking, strategic thinking and implementation, and the ability to develop core competencies as they create and grow their successful enterprises. Various topics in entrepreneurship will be introduced as a result.
This course examines the process of opportunity identification for both start-up and existing business environments. It is designed to cultivate the mindset and skills required for students to engage in opportunity identification activities and make them part of their daily regimen in their personal and professional lives. The entrepreneurial process begins with the pursuit of a perceived opportunity. As such, the ability to identify a valid opportunity is paramount to the field of entrepreneurship.
- Each course is 39 hours of instruction over 13 weeks or approximately three hours per week. Factor in extra time for homework.
- Each course listed runs concurrently. Each additional course adds three hours per week to your workload. Please take this into consideration before applying.
- Courses start in January 2019 and finish in April 2019.
- An academic co-ordinator is available from Ryerson University to help with logistics and setting you up for success.
- Each course costs $99. Your tuition will be returned to you once you successfully complete the course(s).
- Courses are offered in English only.
- Courses are taken online through Ryerson University using the D2L BrightSpace learning management system. BrightSpace is fully accessible with JAWS and ZoomText.
- Completion of these courses will count towards a certificate in Entrepreneurship and Small Business from Ryerson University. Students who complete three courses will receive a professional development award.
What You’ll Need:
- A high school diploma such as an OSSD (Ontario) or equivalent from your province/territory.
- A resume and cover letter expressing your interest in one or more of the courses offered.
- A declaration of whether you wish to pursue the certificate in entrepreneurship or if you just want to take one course at a time for now.
- A computer and high-speed internet access
Assistive Tech Check
Be sure you know how to do the following with your assistive technology tools:
- Web: browsing, using forms, downloading, uploading, web video, using databases for research.
- Email: composing, managing threads, contact lists, replying, forwarding.
- Calendar apps: setting deadlines for assignments, making appointments, etc.
- MS Word: Creating, saving, formatting, using a table of contents or bibliography.
- MS Excel: Creating, saving, formatting, using formulas, creating charts.
- MS PowerPoint: Creating, saving, formatting.
- PDF: Opening, reading, setting bookmarks.
- Chat apps like Skype, Google Hangouts or WhatsApp
If you are interested in taking part in this amazing opportunity, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your name and email address;
- Your phone number;
- Your resume; and
- A cover letter declaring which course(s) you’re interested in taking. Please remember these four courses run concurrently.
You will need to pay for courses through Shop CNIB using your credit card. Links will be sent to you once we have received your completed application.