Election Day is Thursday, February 27, 2020. On Election Day, you can vote from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. at your assigned voting location. You can use Election Ontario's voter information service to find:
- your assigned voting location on Election Day
- advance voting locations in your electoral district
- your returning office address and contact information
- other information about your electoral district
- Orléans, 110 Place d’Orleans Drive, Unit 2016, Orléans, ON
- Ottawa-Vanier, 282 Dupuis Street, Unit 200, Vanier, ON
Advance voting locations
- Orléans – voterinformationservice.elections.on.ca/en/election/3-by-election-feb-27-2020/76-orl-ans?tab=beforeElectionInPerson
- Ottawa-Vanier – voterinformationservice.elections.on.ca/en/election/3-by-election-feb-27-2020/80-ottawa-vanier?tab=beforeElectionInPerson
Voting times for both offices
- Monday to Saturday: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Sunday, February 2, February 9 & February 23: 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sunday, February 16: 10 a.m.- 8 p.m.
- In-person voting at returning offices ends on February 26 at 6 p.m.
Elections Ontario is offering assistive voting technology in all returning offices and satellite offices during advance voting. Voters who choose to use the assistive voting technology device will be able to listen to the ballot choices and make their selection using three controller options:
- Audio tactile interface features large raised buttons, bright colours and braille inscriptions.
- Paddles includes red and blue paddles that can be pressed using hands, feet or elbows.
- Sip and puff technology send signals to a device using air pressure by "sipping" (inhaling) or "puffing" (exhaling) into a straw.
Please note: The accessible voting technology device is only available at the returning offices. Other accessibility tools, including magnifiers and braille templates, will be available at all locations during advance voting and Election Day. For more information, visit: elections.on.ca/en/voting-in-ontario/accessible-voting.html
- By mail – Applications are available at elections.on.ca and returning offices. Once your application has been reviewed and approved, a special ballot kit ballot will be mailed to you. Elections Ontario must receive your application and a copy of your ID at least six days before Election Day. The deadline to apply to vote by mail is February 21 at 6 p.m. You must return the completed ballot by February 27 at 6 p.m.
- Voting by home visit – You can request to vote by home visit if you are:
- unable to go to your returning office because of a disability
- unable to read or write
- unable to complete an application form
- someone who requires assistance
To request a home visit, contact your returning office:
- Orléans – 1-866-271-6876
- Ottawa-Vanier – 1-866-532-3156
All election officials receive training on how to provide customer service in an accessible manner.
When casting a ballot, voters can:
- Ask election officials to bring a ballot outside the voting location to make the process more accessible.
- Request a transfer to another voting location that better meets their accessibility needs. The request must be made at the returning office before Election Day.
- Bring a friend or support person to assist with marking their ballot.
- Use their mobile phones as accessibility devices. (Reminder: You can use your mobile phone as an assistive device. However, it remains a violation of the Elections Act to take or share photos/videos of completed ballots.)
- Use magnifiers and ballot templates with braille numbering and cut-outs and a candidate list in braille.
- Bring their service animals.
- Arrange to have a registered sign language interpreter or intervenor – the company can invoice Elections Ontario.
Canadian Hearing Society
1-866-518-0000 (press 1 for interpreting services) | email@example.com
Skype: CHS interpreting
CNIB Deafblind Community Services:
613-563-4021 x5016 | Jessica.White@deaflbindservices.ca
For more information about voting in the Orléans and Ottawa-Vanier by-elections, contact Elections Ontario: 1-888-246-3335 | firstname.lastname@example.org