Term: Full time contract
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
This position is responsible for completing a broad range of responsibilities and duties that will enhance the provision of Vision Loss Rehabilitation Services. Primary responsibilities include assisting rehabilitation specialists in the areas of Independent Living, Orientation and Mobility, Low Vision and Assistive Technology as well as providing driving and guiding assistance for staff who are blind or partially sighted.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- The position entails, but is not limited to the following general responsibilities:
- Responds to referrals as determined through a consultative process with rehabilitation specialists.
- Assists with the implementation of client service plans as developed by rehabilitation specialists.
- Assists in teaching adaptive skills for independent living, in areas of personal management, household management, communication, leisure activities, basic indoor orientation & mobility skills utilizing vision enhancement tools, basic keyboarding and technology training.
- Provides follow-up support to clients who have completed assessment process with rehabilitation specialists.
- Promotes self-advocacy skills for individuals living with vision loss to access community programs and resources (i.e. leisure programs, acquisition of adaptive equipment, etc.).
- Maintains all case data and documentation consistent with CNIB Systems and Procedures.
- Drives staff who are blind or partially sighted and provides support and orientation at destination.
- Provides support to clients and demonstrates consumer products and low vision aids.
- Collaborates with rehabilitation team in service delivery, travel scheduling and program development.
- Provides consultation, public education, and in-service training.
- Transports clients and other deliveries as directed by VLRO.
- Ensures safety and maintenance of VLRO vehicles and completes the necessary paperwork required; maintains emergency kits for the vehicle.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate in French preferred
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Possesses strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Demonstrates maturity and sensitivity, as well as possessing emotional and social stability when working with clients.
- Demonstrates strong ethics and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Possesses a mature and professional demeanour.
- Excellent driving and navigation skills.
- Skilled in Microsoft software applications and ability to effectively care for computer hardware, and learn various applications as applicable for the position.
- Solid understanding of vehicle servicing and maintenance requirements.
Experience and Education:
- Post-secondary education and/or prior experience in Occupational Therapy Assistant, Social Work or related field preferred.
- Previous working/volunteering experience working with individuals who are blind or partially sighted or a combined loss of hearing and sight.
- Excellent Driving Record; drivers abstract is required.
- Clean Criminal Record required; Criminal Reference Check required for vulnerable populations.
- Ability to communicate in French strongly preferred
Closing Date for Applications: March 29, 2019
Please Send the Application To: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the job title in the subject line
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
VLRC strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. VLRC is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with VLRC.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, VLRC is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please state in your cover letter what accommodation you require and VLRC will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in VLRC, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.