Rate: $23.77 per hour
- Conducts assessments and documents the O&M needs and personal goals of individuals with vision loss.
- With the individual, identifies and prioritizes goals and develops an orientation & mobility service plan.
- Teaches concept development, spatial and sensory awareness, pre-cane skills, cane techniques, and travel skills.
- Encourages and provides support in assertiveness/advocacy skills to individuals as it relates to orientation and mobility.
- Provides information and lessons in the use of electronic travel aids
- Provides tactile maps as required.
- Teaches sighted guide to family members and others.
- Acts as a resource person for information regarding guide dog schools. Provide skill development to prepare individuals to work with a guide dog. Works with guide dog schools as required.
- Acts as a resource in matters related to accessible design and the built environment.
- Maintains all case data and documentation consistent with CNIB Systems and Procedures.
- Performs administrative duties including but not limited to service tracking, benchmarking, report writing, etc.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge and experience working with individuals with vision loss.
- Knowledgeable about disabilities and all life stages (children to seniors)
- Well developed interpersonal and communications skills.
- Decision-making and problem-solving ability.
- Mature and professional attitude.
- Self-directed, organized and detail oriented.
- Demonstrated client centred approach and commitment.
Experience and Education:
- Graduate of the Instructor for Blind and Visually Impaired Program (Mohawk College); or Diploma in Specialized Studies, O&M and Vision Rehabilitation (University of Montreal).
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- ACVREP Certified, or eligible for ACVREP certification
- Good command of relevant computer applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- The ability to speak French would be an asset
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Travel will be required.
Closing Date for Applications: November 28, 2018
Please Send the Application To: email@example.com and quote the job title in the subject line
Please send cover letter and resume and mention how you learned of this position.
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please state in your cover letter what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.