Provide instruction and guidance in compensatory independent living skills, and assistive technology. Enable individuals living with vision loss to independently carry out daily activities.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Assesses and documents the independent living needs and abilities of individuals with vision loss.
- With the individual, identifies and prioritizes goals and develops an independent living service plan.
- Teaches adaptive skills for independent living in areas of personal management, household management, communication, leisure activities, basic indoor orientation & mobility skills and basic technology training.
- Assists individuals in the acquisition and use of assistive devices
- Promotes self-advocacy skills for individuals living with vision loss to access community programs and resources.
- Provides consultation, public education and in-service training
- Acts as a resource in matters related to accessible design and the built environment.
- Plans, facilitates and conducts group sessions and presentations
- Maintains all case data and documentation consistent with VLRC Systems and Procedures.
- Performs administrative duties including but not limited to service tracking, benchmarking, report writing, etc.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge and experience working with individuals with vision loss.
- Knowledgeable about disabilities and all life stages (children to seniors)
- Knowledge and experience working with accessible technology
- Well-developed interpersonal and communications skills.
- Decision-making and problem-solving ability.
- Mature and professional attitude.
- Self-directed, organized and detail oriented.
- Demonstrated client centred approach and commitment.
Experience and Education:
- Graduate of the Instructor for Blind and Visually Impaired Program (Mohawk College); Diploma in Specialized Studies, Vision Rehabilitation (University of Montreal); Master’s degree in Vision Rehabilitation.
- Undergraduate degree
- ACVREP Certified, or eligible for ACVREP certification
- Good command of relevant computer applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- The ability to speak French would be an asset
- Experience running and facilitating groups an asset
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Travel will be required.
Closing Date for Applications: March 29, 2019
Please Send the Application To: email@example.com and quote the job title in the subject line
Please send cover letter and resume and mention how you learned of this position.
VLRC strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. VLRC is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with VLRC.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, VLRC is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please state in your cover letter what accommodation you require and VLRC will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in VLRC, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.