Provides employment counselling to assist people with vision loss to retain and maintain employment; and to develop and support post-secondary individualized employment goals.
Term: Permanent Part time (30 hours per Week)
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Maintains file of current Labour market information.
- Maintains all case data and Labour market documentation consistent with VLR systems and procedures.
- Works in partnership with employers to develop accommodation plans.
- Maintains contact with existing employers and outreaches to prospective employers.
- Assists individuals in employment preparation, skills training, job search, and job maintenance.
- Performs administrative duties including but not limited to service tracking, benchmarking, report writing, etc.
- Builds and maintains relationships with employers, community resources, and government funders.
- Facilitates or participates in employment related workshops.
- Promotes an understanding and awareness of vision health as it relates to employment through consultation public education and in-house training.
- Works with divisional and national career support program team to share resources, practices, experiences, and ideas for creating new career support programs
Problem Solving/Time Frame of Impact
- Provide timely delivery of career and employment services to individuals to work towards their employment related goals and ability to remain or become employed.
- Ability to creatively and quickly problem solve to respond to unique individual needs.
- This position has latitude to implement the mutually agreed upon action plan.
- Take initiative to keep abreast of new career counselling and rehabilitation issues and information.
- Provides leadership in community groups and partners by educating, advocating and promoting awareness about vision loss and the benefits of hiring a person with a disability.
- Provides leadership in training and coaching volunteers, students and staff.
- Facilitates and enhances team efforts on a professional level and share specialized knowledge, sources, experience, concepts, and skills.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge and experience working with individuals with vision loss is an asset.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communications skills.
- Self-directed, organized and detail oriented.
- Demonstrated client centred approach and commitment.
- Knowledge of job accommodation practice and relevant legislation.
- Proficient in the use of computers.
- Knowledge of the tools and practices used in career development, guidance, and vocational assessment.
Experience and Education:
- Three to four years experience in employment and vocational counselling with a focus on employment preparation, placement, retention, and marketing.
- Education related to disability studies, counselling, or career development.
- Experience working with people with disabilities is preferred.
- Personal or professional experience relating to blindness and vision loss is considered an asset.
- Accreditation in counselling or rehabilitation would be an asset.
- Service will be provided in at VLR local office, places of employment and the community.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Willingness to travel.
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact Marlene.Hatgistamatakis@vlrehab.ca
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.