The position entails, but is not limited to the following general responsibilities:
- Provides information to the public and those with vision loss regarding assistive aids that are on display or available through CNIB’s consumer products department Shop CNIB.
- Assists customers with the purchasing process through Shop CNIB and third-party assistive device vendors using the Shop CNIB in-store iPad to complete orders
- Demonstrate various devices and products including, but not limited to, digital magnifiers, Daisy players, iOS devices, and digital assistants (i.e.: Google Home/Amazon Alexa) to customers
- Problem solves between customer and vendor(s) for faulty machines
- Ability to provide basic technical support for products on the phone, in person or via email
- Creates training processes, creates training material and trains staff and volunteers in use of devices and other products/services as required
- Creates a registration sheet and a waitlist for clients interested in the new phone program and assigns a priority based on pre-set criteria.
- Monitors the waitlist and discusses with Management every few weeks on whether new phones can be purchased, and the waitlist drawn down.
- Creates and presents to small groups and drop ins on training for smart phones for clients
- Assist Child and Family Services Specialist with preparing, maintaining and sanitizing toys and learning aids
- Provide basic computer and/or iPad training for clients with low computer literacy skills under the supervision of the Assistive Technology Specialist
- Assist Low Vision Specialist with functional assessments when required
- Assist Orientation & Mobility Specialist and/or Independent Living Skills Specialist with their in-home visits, programs, devices, etc. as needed
- Track progress of calling campaigns completed by volunteers; may involve participating in calling campaigns to update client databases and notify clients of upcoming events
- Provide administrative support to Registrar or Administrative Assistant as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Interact and communicate effectively and respectfully with people who are blind or partially sighted
- Communicates in a professional manner, both written and orally, at both internal and external levels as required
- Work collaboratively with all other departments as required
Problem Solving/Time Frame of Impact
- Ability to provide solutions to routine questions using creative and timely problem-solving skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and identify minor problems before elevating issues to supervisor
- Works under the general direction of divisional guidelines and standards but has latitude in making decisions on routine tasks
- Consults with supervisor on issues that are more complex or may require upper level approval
- Exercises good judgment and tact when dealing with individuals
- Commitment to maintaining privacy and confidentiality
- Takes initiative in providing information and assistance to clients regarding assistive aids, and in providing administrative support to the office, and works collaboratively with other departments to achieve CNIB’s integrated customer relation’s goals
- Takes initiative in learning about new technology and devices used by people with sight loss
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Proficient with technology including use of internet, email, computers, tablets and smart phones using assistive technologies, such as ZoomText and/or Jaws.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to speak in front of a small group to provide training
- Good word processing skills; experience with MS Office, Excel & Outlook; testing will be required.
- Flexible, open to change, a team player and have demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Demonstrates mature and sensitive nature when dealing with the needs of persons experiencing vision loss
- Positive attitude
- Commitment to developing skills and gaining knowledge through internship program
Experience and Education
- High School diploma
- Customer service experience an asset
- Experience in not-for-profit an asset
- Certificate of Achievement from Vision Loss Rehabilitation Saskatchewan Employment Bootcamp an asset
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- Light lifting may be required (20 lbs)
- Occasional travel within the region
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact email@example.com
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.