- Works on the operations of the Training Facility, minor capital works, space planning, administrative services, and ensures that professional services are provided if required.
- Responsible for disseminating and implementing emergency preparedness protocols that affect security, safety, damage mitigation, and emergency maintenance of properties.
- Ensures the implementation of repairs and restoration takes place in a timely and economic fashion to maximize life span for the facility.
- Inspects, monitors and manages work in progress by contractors ensuring that all work is executed in accordance with relevant legislation and CNIB standards.
- Maintains and stores all building supplies under WHMIS standards and ensures proper documentation of WHMIS data sheets where required.
- Ensures the buildings are cleaned on a regular basis through direct actions or contracted services.
- Manages the esthetics of the Facility making sure the landscaping is well manicured and the grounds are always presentable to a high-quality standard.
- Oversees the operation of snow removal equipment and/or contracts during the winter to keep all the walkways and entrances cleared and safe.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the kennels to a high standard where the dogs are housed.
- Provide best in class dog care and welfare including the design of an environmental enrichment program.
- Monitors and assists as required in the feeding, hygiene, transportation and wellness care for the dogs housed at the Training Facility.
- Provides and prepares food according to strict Guide Dogs practices
- Keeps accurate records for all dogs and maintains accurate intake procedures, taking full advantage of all the training offered by CNIB Guide Dog's program
- Maintains all safety guidelines relating to the Guide Dogs
- Reports all incidents and concerns to the relevant staff.
- Acts as an ambassador for CNIB at functions and assists the technical team when required and undertake other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for ensuring there is effective inventory control for all supplies required that are associated with the day to day operations of the facility.
- Knowledge of and experience working with Guide Dog programs, services, and caring for dogs
- Experience working in collaboration with staff and volunteers
- Computer literate in MS Office
- Ability to exercise discretion, initiative and creativity in problem solving.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience and understanding of the Ontario Building Code, National Fire Code, National Fire Protection Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and standards of various standards associated with the operations of the facility.
- Heating Refrigeration, Air Conditioning Engineers and other relevant codes and regulations.
- Knowledge of cleaning products, equipment and general building maintenance
- May be required to climb ladders and operate lawn mowers and snow removal machines
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge and application of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Have a valid driver's license
Experience and Education
- High school diploma/GED required
- Minimum of 2 + years grounds keeping and maintenance experience
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of property management and real estate practices.
- Good knowledge of handling and the care of animals and delivery of Guide Dog services and programs is an asset.
- A thorough knowledge of space planning and construction techniques, methods, materials, and the knowledge of building services, plant maintenance and other related public service facilities.
- Experience in tendering and making recommendations for approvals for maintenance work and projects ranging from small to mid-range construction works.
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- Occasional travel may be required
- Physical ability to access a variety of sites and locations within the facility including climbing of ladders, stairs or uneven terrain.
- Ability to work with dogs in a training environment
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact email@example.com
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.