Medical & Health:
- Conducts intake of patients, documents patient history, identifies concerns and informs patient of tests and procedures as part of the examination and procedures.
- Provides health education regarding prevention of eye disease including: diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, glaucoma, AMD, and other areas of health and lifestyle.
- Performs tests and screening as per program guidelines including: complete ocular health exams, eye pressures, field of vision testing, instillation of eye drops, use of ophthalmic medical equipment, and assisting with minor surgical procedures and laser treatments for different types of glaucoma and post cataract surgery as designated by ophthalmologist.
- Understands and coordinates pharmaceutical products and medical prescriptions.
- Prepares and sterilizes medical/surgical instruments following set protocols.
- Assists Ophthalmologist and performs delegated tasks.
- Collaborates with ophthalmologist in assessment of patients and supports patient referrals to Vision Loss Rehabilitation Ontario and CNIB Foundation
- Ensures safe operation of all medical equipment and unit mechanics; follows guidelines for set up and take down in preparation for and completion of clinics.
- Supports the health promotion sessions for community health care providers.
- Confirms patient understanding of medical procedures and completion of required consent forms.
- Collaborates with a team that includes CNIB staff and volunteers, ophthalmologists, community health care professionals, and other partners to ensure quality patient care.
- Engages local diabetes education program partners.
- Utilizes medial and OHIP computer software to: manage patient information; code and submit weekly patient diagnosis, testing, and billings; input and update patient information and treatment and preforms required backup procedures.
- Collects data, evaluations, and patient surveys required for planning and program advancement.
- Provides orientation for new Ophthalmologists, Residents, Medical and Ophthalmic related professional students (COMT, COT, Optometry), volunteers and ensures all required documents are completed.
- Performs tasks related to the pre/post Eye Van Tour including, but not limited to: reviewing procedures, training, testing of medical equipment, organizing medical and pharmaceutical inventories and operational supplies.
- Participates in public relations activities including liaising with healthcare professionals, local service clubs, volunteers, the public, and local media.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Possesses strong interpersonal, communication, conflict resolution and diplomacy skills.
- Demonstrates mature and sensitive nature when dealing with the needs of patients and persons experiencing vision loss.
- Demonstrates understanding and competency in using all technologies and software required to perform the duties of the job. Actively participates in available technical training opportunities.
Experience and Education:
- Registered Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse, Ophthalmic Assistant or Technician Certification.
- Knowledgeable about the prevention and treatment of eye disease is an asset.
- Must have valid Ontario driver's license and provide a Driver’s Abstract.
- If selected as the successful candidate, must obtain Ontario Class AZ driver's license (training provided).
- Friendly, educational, collaborative, and rewarding atmosphere.
- Extensive travel within Northern Ontario is required between March and November.
- Flexible work hours are required, including weekend work.
- Collaboration with health care, community and corporate partners.
- Ability to work and thrive in a physical and fast-paced environment.
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.