The Manager, Foundation Relations is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding corporate, public and private foundations as well as selected provincial government agencies for Ontario.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Philanthropy, the Manager will be actively engaged in working to establish long-term partnerships and strengthen existing relationships within the foundations sector.
Covering a broad range of duties, the position provides the expertise to advance the organization’s interests by researching and identifying sources of support, proactively seeking opportunities to generate new proposals based on foundation guidelines and interests, and by maintaining strong communication ties with donors and prospects.
The position entails, but is not limited to the following general responsibilities, within the framework of an Ontario-wide philanthropy strategy;
- Design, implement, and manage a comprehensive proactive development plan focused on expanding and enhancing foundation relationships. Provide input on fiscal year budget and projections, ensuring revenue targets are achieved and expenses are in line with approved limits.
- Develop and write highly competitive proposals for foundation prospects and leverage diverse foundation goals and preferences in conjunction with organization’s goals.
- Maintain a rigorous schedule of contacts with foundation representatives, creating moves management plans related to them, and creating compelling presentations and comprehensive fundraising proposals.
- Monitor foundation proposal deadlines, prepare and edit proposals, and manage proposal submissions. Create stewardship plan that assists with effective recognition and reporting to all donors.
- Maintain high quality stewardship process for active foundation prospects and donors. Ensure that stewardship and reporting requirements are met to sustain successful partnerships by maintaining detailed records of solicitation activities.
- Ensure that Program Managers, Finance and Customer Operations staff are all clear on status of designated gifts and timing for receipt of funds pledged by foundations.
- Ensure appropriate administration of donor information in the donor database and supply reports and analyses to the Senior Director.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in non-profit management, programming and philanthropy
- Manage special projects as required.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in the areas of Corporate Foundation and
Public Foundation fundraising techniques required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods, practices and procedures for obtaining information about the giving programs of corporations and foundations.
- Strong and proven grant writing skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals are essential.
- Ability to initiate and build relationships with prospective foundation donors and interact via telephone and in person with institutional representatives.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications as well as other software applications such as CRM (familiarity with Raiser’s Edge software a plus)
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Resourceful, results-oriented with a positive, "can do" attitude
Experience and Education:
- Post-secondary education in marketing, communications, public relations or related program
- Minimum 5-7 years demonstrated successful corporate and/or foundation fundraising experience
- Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing at appropriate levels for varied proposal development.
- Demonstrated record of success in generating significant commitments from corporations, foundations.
- CFRE certification preferred
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- Willingness to travel
- Willingness to be a passionate advocate for CNIB and those we serve
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact email@example.com
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.