In covering a broad range of duties this position provides driving and guiding assistance to staff with vision loss and support to the VLRC operations.
Responsibilities include: driving and guiding staff with vision loss to appointments and meetings, providing the office with administrative support as needed, and ensuring the safety and regular maintenance of company vehicles.
Term: Casual Hours
This position entails, but is not limited to the following general responsibilities:
- Drives staff with vision loss, provides support, and orientation at their destination.
- Ensures that VLRC vehicles are maintained and reports problems to supervisor or designate.
- When vehicle requires service/repair work, driver transports to/picks up the vehicle at the authorized location.
- Maintains emergency kits for the vehicle.
- May transport clients and other deliveries as directed by VLRC.
- Provides support and demonstration of digital playback machines.
- Participates in regular staff meetings.
- May be required to provide back-up support to administrative or property as appropriate.
- Performs any other related duties as requested.
- Works with services and operations department staff and participates in departmental meetings as required.
Problem Solving/Time Frame of Impact
- Plans/maps direct routes to ensure expedient delivery of both staff and products to clients.
- Ensures through time management and supportive team spirit, that the operational goals are met.
- Ensures safety and maintenance of VLRC vehicles and completes the necessary paperwork required
- Works under the general direction of divisional guidelines and standards but has latitude in making decisions on routine tasks.
- Consults with supervisor on issues that are more complex or may require upper level approval.
- Takes leadership role in ensuring safety of VLRC vehicles.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Expert driving skills including understanding of directions.
- Good knowledge in computer software.
- Good level of administrative skills.
- Good understanding of vehicle maintenance.
Experience and Education
- Minimum grade 12 education.
- Excellent Driving Record, drivers abstract is required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and willingness to learn other software.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good keyboarding skills.
- This position requires travel throughout the Region, with occasional overnight stays.
- At times, substantial amount of time would be spent in motor vehicle.
VLRC strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. VLRC is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with VLRC.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, VLRC is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and VLRC will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
For more information or to submit your resume, please contact Susan.Elsey@vlrehab.ca
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in VLRC, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.