Rate: $19.83 per hour
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Responds to referrals as determined through a consultative process with rehabilitation specialists.
- Assists with the implementation of client service plans as developed by rehabilitation specialists.
- Assists in teaching adaptive skills for independent living, in areas of personal management, household management, communication, leisure activities, basic indoor orientation & mobility skills utilizing vision enhancement tools, basic keyboarding and technology training.
- Provides follow-up support to clients who have completed assessment process with rehabilitation specialists.
- Promotes self-advocacy skills for individuals living with vision loss to access community programs and resources (i.e. leisure programs, acquisition of adaptive equipment, etc.).
- Maintains all case data and documentation consistent with CNIB Systems and Procedures.
- Drives staff who are blind or partially sighted and provides support and orientation at destination.
- Provides support to clients and demonstrates consumer products and low vision aids.
- Collaborates with rehabilitation team in service delivery, travel scheduling and program development.
- Provides consultation, public education, and in-service training.
- Transports clients and other deliveries as directed by CNIB.
- Ensures safety and maintenance of fleet vehicles and completes the necessary paperwork required; maintains emergency kits for vehicles.
- Close working relationship with all members of the rehabilitation team.
- Provides support and consultation to individuals and their families re adjustment to vision loss.
- Attends and participates in multi-disciplinary team meetings.
- Promotes an understanding and awareness of vision health related issues through consultation, public education, and in-service training.
- Assists with the training, placement and supervision of volunteers and students.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Creatively and quickly problem solves to respond to unique individual needs.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Exercises judgment and tact when working with clients and knowing when to elevate issues to the next level.
- Provides leadership to community groups and partners by educating, advocating and promoting awareness about vision loss.
- Provides leadership in coaching volunteers, students and staff.
- Takes a leadership role in ensuring safety and maintenance of CNIB fleet vehicles.
- Functions with limited supervision when required.
- Takes initiative to keep abreast of various policies and procedures as they relate to this position.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both official languages.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Possesses strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Demonstrates maturity and sensitivity, as well as possessing emotional and social stability when working with the needs of persons who are blind or partially sighted.
- Demonstrates strong ethical behaviours and ability in maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Possesses a mature and professional demeanor.
- Excellent driving and navigation skills.
- Skilled in Microsoft software applications and ability to effectively care for computer hardware and learn various applications as applicable for the position.
- Solid understanding of vehicle servicing and maintenance requirements.
Experience and Education:
- Degree or Diploma in health-related field
- Enhanced knowledge of Indigenous culture an asset
- Previous working/volunteering experience working with individuals who are blind or partially sighted or a combined loss of hearing and sight.
- Excellent Driving Record; drivers abstract is required.
- Clean Criminal Record required; Criminal Reference Check required for vulnerable populations.
Closing Date for Applications: November 23, 2018
Please Send the Application To: Kerrie.St.Jean@vlrehab.ca and quote the job title in the subject line
Please send cover letter and resume and mention how you learned of this position.
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please state in your cover letter what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.