In Focus – CNIB Free Webinar Series for Health Care Professionals
Individuals who are blind or partially sighted have added challenges in managing their diabetes.
As a health care professional, you play a critical role in assisting these individuals to successfully manage their condition, as well as helping to identify patients who are at risk of developing diabetic retinopathy or other diabetes-related eye conditions.
This free interactive webinar series, developed exclusively for health care professionals, aims to assist you in learning more about diabetic retinopathy, caring for your patients with vision loss and the resources available to your patients for diabetes self-management.
In Focus – CNIB Free Webinar Series is also available in French.
Webinar 1: Diabetic Retinopathy Basics
- Anatomy/physiology of the eye
- Diabetic Retinopathy and its stages
- Risk factors
- Treatments for Diabetic Retinopathy
Presented by: Dr Netan Choudhry, Director of Vitreoretinal Surgery and Research, Herzig Eye Institute
Webinar 2: Supporting Your Patients with Vision Loss: Practical Tips and Strategies
- Identifying a patient with a vision problem
- Practical tips on working with patients who have vision loss
- Tools and strategies to help people with vision loss
- Available information, support and rehabilitation services
Presented by:Leanne Cornell and Sumreen Siddiqui, Independent Living Specialists, CNIB
Webinar 3: Diabetes Management with Vision Loss
- Overview of Types of Diabetes
- Tips for Diabetes Management with Vision Loss
- Healthy Eating
- Talking Glucometers
Presented by: Lynn Baughan and Kathryn MacDonald, Regional Diabetes Administrator, Central West Diabetes Regional Coordination Centre.
Webinar 4: Adjusting to Vision Loss
- Emotional impact of vision loss for clients and families
- Barriers to care
- Tips for health care professionals in helping patients through the transition
- Personal Story : How CNIB helped me
Presented by:Sharon Kanhai and John Pimental, Diabetes Educator.