Founded in 1918, CNIB is one of Canada’s oldest and most respected charities. For 98 years, the organization has been Canada’s primary source of support for people who are blind or partially sighted, providing crucial vision loss rehabilitation services to thousands of Canadians each day.
With a dedicated team of approximately 700 staff members and thousands of volunteers across the country, CNIB is proud to be there, every step of the way, for people who are blind or partially sighted and their families, from the crucial early childhood years through adulthood and into the autumn of life. We also work diligently to increase public understanding of vision health, and to advocate proudly for an inclusive society where no citizen is left behind, regardless of vision loss.
CNIB has ambitious goals for the future. Through our new strategic plan, CNIB is working to ensure that every Canadian who is blind or partially sighted has access to the full range of services they need to increase their independence and have more control over their own lives.
For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
Commensurate with experience
June 2017 to August 2017 (possibility of Fall contract extension)
CNIB's Lake Joseph Centre (MacTier, ON)
CNIB’s Lake Joseph Centre (commonly known as “Lake Joe”) is a fully accessible lakefront residential facility located in the Muskoka region of Ontario, providing a unique blend of recreation, skills training, social interaction, and personal discovery in a safe, inclusive environment. Two hours north of Toronto, Lake Joe stretches over 12.5 acres of waterfront property on the northwest corner of beautiful Lake Joseph. Staff and volunteers provide a wide range of high quality programs to people of all ages who are living with vision loss.
With exceptional guest safety and experience at the forefront, the Wellness Coordinator will collaborate with the Manager, Guest Services, Wellness Assistant and contracted catering company to provide care to all guests, with a focus on overall wellness, including special diets. The Wellness Coordinator will work with the Wellness Assistant to ensure smooth running of the Wellness Centre. They will facilitate programming related to guest wellness (hydration, sun safety), provide first-aid, maintain medical records, as well as support assistant with daily living needs.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
• Collaborate and assist the Wellness Assistant in the planning, monitoring and evaluating of all components of the Wellness Centre services area
• Provide complete first-aid service to all guests, volunteers and staff
• Contact EMS for transportation to local area hospital, if required
• Organize and maintain a well-kept Wellness Centre
• Inform Manager, Guest Services when supplies need reordering or replenishing
• Maintain and keep record of all first-aid kits for site, vehicles and staff
• Reorder supplies for first-aid kits with approval of Manager, Guest Services
• Act as liaison between the Lake Joseph Centre and local medical clinics and services
• Assist with staff training sessions as well as attend all required training and meetings
• Be a positive role model for staff, volunteers and guests
• Champion a Culture of Volunteerism by supporting an environment where volunteers are respected and valued members of the team
• Ensure all dietary needs for guests are provided to the kitchen two weeks in advance, as well as coordinate all special diets with the kitchen for all off-sites and boat trips
• Work with the catering company on an on-going basis for changing dietary requirements
• Attend all meals to ensure appropriate dietary meals are getting to the appropriate persons
• Ensure that there are water stations for guests, volunteers and staff outdoors to ensure sun-safety practices
• Assist campers/guests with daily living and minimal personal care
• Deliver programming when schedule allows
• Share 24-hour on call requirements
• Other duties as assigned
The duties and responsibilities outlined above are indicative of the role, but aren’t exhaustive and may be subject to change as required.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C” or “HCP”
• Current and clear Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check before start of contract
• “G” Class driver’s license
• Current and clear Drivers Abstract
• Experience/comfort working with animals is an asset
• Experience working with special populations
• Able to assist in daily living activities
• Able to understand clients and their special situation
• Ability to increase client’s comfort, safety and mobility
• Ability to assist client with nutrition, ambulation and hygiene
• Ability to chart guests’ progress
• Must be willing to reside at Lake Joseph Centre
• Must be willing to work standard camp hours and flexible hours
• Self-directed and self-motivated
• Able to work in a busy and changing environment
• Willing to share accommodations if required
• Experience working with special diets/diabetic diets
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Experience working with children and adults who are blind, deaf-blind as well as special need populations an asset
• Occasional travel may be required
Closing Date for Applications:
Resumes will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until March 31, 2017 for a June 2017 start date.
Please Send Application to: email@example.com and quote the job title in the subject line.
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please state in your cover letter what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.