Founded in 1918, CNIB is one of Canada’s oldest and most respected charities. For 98 years, the organization has been Canada’s primary source of support for people who are blind or partially sighted, providing crucial vision loss rehabilitation services to thousands of Canadians each day.
With a dedicated team of approximately 700 staff members and thousands of volunteers across the country, CNIB is proud to be there, every step of the way, for people who are blind or partially sighted and their families, from the crucial early childhood years through adulthood and into the autumn of life. We also work diligently to increase public understanding of vision health, and to advocate proudly for an inclusive society where no citizen is left behind, regardless of vision loss.
CNIB has ambitious goals for the future. Through our new strategic plan, CNIB is working to ensure that every Canadian who is blind or partially sighted has access to the full range of services they need to increase their independence and have more control over their own lives.
For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
First Year Salary $525/week
May 2017 to August 2017 (possibility of Fall contract extension)
CNIB's Lake Joseph Centre (MacTier, ON)
CNIB’s Lake Joseph Centre (commonly known as “Lake Joe”) is a fully accessible lakefront residential facility located in the Muskoka region of Ontario, providing a unique blend of recreation, skills training, social interaction, and personal discovery in a safe, inclusive environment. Two hours north of Toronto, Lake Joe stretches over 12.5 acres of waterfront property on the northwest corner of beautiful Lake Joseph. Staff and volunteers provide a wide range of high quality programs to people of all ages who are living with vision loss.
The Wellness Assistant will provide coordinated support to guests and catering company around general wellness of guests, with a specific focus on special diets, and proper hydration during program activities. In general, the Wellness Assistant will support the Wellness Coordinator with the assistance of daily living needs to campers/guests. The primary responsibilities of the Wellness Team are to support our guests in their daily care, hydration, first-aid, safety and daily living at Lake Joe. When the schedule allows, there can also be opportunity to assist with program facilitation.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
• Collaborates and assist the Wellness Coordinator and Manager on wellness methods in the planning, monitoring and evaluating of all components of the Wellness Centre
• Provide complete first-aid service to all guests, volunteers and staff as needed
• Contact EMS for transportation to local area hospital, if required
• Organize and maintain a well-kept Wellness Centre.
• Informs Wellness Coordinator/Guest Services Coordinator when supplies need reordering or replenishing
• Maintain and keep record of all first-aid kits for site, vehicles and staff
• Reorder supplies for first-aid kits with approval of Guest Services Coordinator
• Act as a liaison between the Lake Joseph Centre and local medical clinics and services in the absence of the Wellness Coordinator
• Assist with the staff training sessions related to health and wellness as well as attending all required training and meetings
• Be a positive role model for staff, volunteers and guests
• Champion a Culture of Volunteerism by supporting an environment where volunteers are respected and valued members of the team
• Ensure all dietary needs for guests are provided to the kitchen two weeks in advance as well as coordinate all special diets with the kitchen for all off-sites and boat trips
• Work with the catering company and Guest Services team on an on-going basis for changing dietary requirements
• Attend all meals to ensure appropriate dietary meals are getting to the appropriate persons
• Ensure that there are water stations for guests and staff to ensure sun-safety practices
• Assist guests with daily living and minimal personal care
• Share 24 hour on-call requirements
• Other duties as assigned
The duties and responsibilities outlined above are indicative of the role, but aren’t exhaustive and may be subject to change as required.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience):
• Experience working with special diets/diabetic diets
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Experience with blind, partially sighted and deaf-blind children and adults as well as special need populations is an asset
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C”
• Current (within 6 months of start date) and clear Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check before start of contract
• “G” Class driver’s license an asset with current and clear Drivers Abstract
• Nursing Student an asset
• Experience working with special populations
• Able to assist in daily living activities
• Able to understand clients and their special situation
• Ability to increase client’s comfort, safety and mobility
• Ability to assist guests with nutrition, ambulation and hygiene
• Ability to chart campers’ progress
• Must be willing to reside at Lake Joseph Centre
• Must be willing to work standard camp hours
• Self-directed and self-motivated
• Ability to work in a busy and changing environment
• Must be willing to share accommodations if required
Closing Date for Applications:
Resumes will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until March 31, 2017 for a May 2017 start date.
Please Send Application To: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the job title in the subject line.
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
CNIB strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. CNIB is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with CNIB.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, CNIB is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please state in your cover letter what accommodation you require and CNIB will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.