CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
Date: June 17, 2012
Job Title: Specialist, Independent Living Skills / Orientation & Mobility
Term: Full Time
Location: Kelowna, BC
* Preference will be given to applicants with dual certification in ILS and O & M; however single certification will also be considered
In covering a broad range of duties this position provides instruction and guidance in compensatory independent living skills and assistive technology, enabling individuals living with vision loss to independently carry out daily activities.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
· Assesses the independent living skills needs and abilities of individuals
· With the individual, identifies and prioritizes goals and develops an independent living plan
· Teaches adaptive skills for independent living in areas of personal management, household management, communication, leisure activities, basic indoor orientation & mobility skills and basic technology training
· Assists individuals in the acquisition and use of assistive devices
· Promotes self-advocacy skills for individuals living with vision loss to access community programs and resources (i.e. leisure programs, acquisition of adaptive equipment, etc.).
· Maintains all case data and documentation consistent with CNIB Systems and Procedures.
· Provides consultation, public education, and in-service training.
· Performs administrative duties including, but not limited to service tracking, benchmarking, report writing, etc.
· Services may be provided in CNIB Centers, individual homes and/or in the community
· Willingness to work flexible hours
· Travel will be required
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
· Graduate of the Instructor for Blind and Visually Impaired Program (Mohawk College); or Diploma in Specialized Studies, O&M and Vision Rehabilitation (University of Montreal).
· Eligible for ACVREP certification
· Good command of relevant computer applications
· Knowledge and experience working with individuals with vision loss
· Knowledge and experience working with access technology
· Demonstrated individual centred approach and commitment.
· Mature and professional attitude
· Knowledgeable about disabilities and all life stages (children to seniors)
· Well developed interpersonal and communications skills.
· Decision-making and problem solving ability
· Self-directed, organized and detail oriented
· Applicants will require a criminal record check prior to offer of employment
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Closing Date for Applications: August 31, 2012
Please Send the Application To: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the job title in the subject line.
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position. Although we thank you for your interest, we would appreciate no phone calls please.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CNIB: seeing beyond vision loss